HSM is looking for an entry-level data scientist who will part of our Upstream Data Analytics team. The ideal candidate should be highly motivated and goal-oriented, with an encouraging attitude of working in a very dynamic work environment with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams.
As a Data Scientist at IHSM, you will apply your advanced analytics skills to transform our vast datasets into tangible business value. You will slice and dice data, analyze information, communicate your findings and collaborate on product development. Outcome of your work will serve multiple business purposes, from commercialized software solution development, driving internal business decisions, to consulting external clients. Responsibilities
• The candidate will drive business decisions based on the insight obtained from the data.
• Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
• Selecting features, building and optimizing machine learning techniques to improve the accuracy of new products.
• Analyze data for trends and patterns, understanding insight from data with a unbiassed mindset.
• Implement different analytical methodologies to help solve various problems related to the energy industry.
• Close collaboration with software developers and machine learning engineers in the implementation of analytical models into production or commercialization.
• Develop and utilize algorithms to perform error analysis to improve model uniformity and accuracy.
• Communicate your findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Comfort working in a very dynamic, research-oriented team with several projects under construction in parallel. Required Qualifications
• Advanced degree in a highly quantitative field: Computer Science, Machine Learning, Geology, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.
• Proficiency with data mining, knowledge of probability theory and advanced statistical techniques.
• Experience with regression analysis (beyond linear regression), supervised learning, unsupervised learning or time-series analysis.
• Experience with scientific scripting languages (e.g., Python, R, Matlab).
• Experience accessing and manipulating data in SQL database environments.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills. The candidate must be able to effectively communicate with management, reservoir characterization teams, engineering teams, clients, and other stake holders. Preferred Qualifications
• Recent work or internship experience in an advanced data analytics role.
• Experience with object-oriented programming (e.g., C#/C++, Java).
• Knowledge of deep learning and related toolkits: Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.
• Knowledge of the energy industry, understanding the different challenges and potential solutions.Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.