The Directorate-General for International Partnerships – DG INTPA at the European Commission in Brussels is responsible for designing EU development and international cooperation policies and for the implementation of the Commission's external aid instruments.
INTPA E5 is a recently created unit responsible for ensuring effective risk management in the context of the implementation of the EU’s Investment Framework for External Action: the European Fund for Sustainable Development (EFSD), its successor - the EFSD+ and the External Action Guarantee (EAG), aim at raising financial resources for sustainable development from the private sector for inclusive economic development. They support investment in partner countries to promote decent job creation, strengthen public and private infrastructure, foster renewable energy and sustainable agriculture, and support the digital economy.
An interesting and challenging position in a small, friendly unit where you would contribute to put in place the necessary tools and procedures to ensure appropriate risk management and business continuity under the EU’s investment framework, with specific focus on credit risk.
Contract type: Contract agent FG IV; full-time position
We look for
A Programme Manager – Risk Officer who will contribute to the design and implementation of budgetary guarantees and financial instruments financed from the EU budget.
• Contribute to the development of the Commission’s risk management framework and its implementation under the EFSD and the EFSD+.
• Contribute to the assessment of the expected risk profile of guarantees, both for individual programmes and in relation to the overall exposure of the EFSD guarantee and the EAG.
• Assist in structuring guarantee proposals and advise on guarantee remuneration, based on the Commission’s risk policy and pricing principles.
• Contribute to the preparation and negotiation of financing agreements with financial institutions benefiting from EU support in as far as risk-related aspects are concerned.
• Contribute to the preparation of methodological tools for the development, management and monitoring of projects (e.g. manuals, guidelines, templates) and to the development of training actions.
• Assist in monitoring the evolution of the risk profile of the underlying exposures that benefit from an EU guarantee as well as of the entire portfolios covered by the EFSD Guarantee and EAG.
• Advise on the adequacy of the budgetary provisioning as well as on liquidity needs. Perform scenario analysis and stress testing of the economic capital.
• Support general reporting and monitoring of EFSD Guarantee and EAG
Job requirements and your talents
Master’s degree/PhD in Economics, Finance, Financial Econometrics (Statistics), Sciences (Mathematics, Engineering), Actuarial Sciences, equivalent qualification or a similar field of expertise. Financial industry certifications like CFA or FRM are a plus.
Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience in a public or private sector finance institution. Experiences in programming skills, e.g. Python, R, Excel, VBA or SQL are a plus.
Familiarity with credit-enhancing mechanisms and risk mitigation, guarantees, loan products, structured financial products and equity investments. Knowledge and experience of credit and investment risk-related assessment and procedures. Quantitative skills and understanding of data structure, system infrastructure and application functionalities would be an asset.
Good oral and written communication skills needed in English, knowledge of French would be an advantage. Ability to communicate clearly on complex financial topics to non-financial colleagues.
Who is eligible to apply?
You must meet the following eligibility criteria when you validate your application: General conditions: Candidates will be eligible for this selection procedure if they fulfil the following formal criteria at the time of the application deadline: • Be a national of a Member State of the European Union (EU) and enjoy his or her full rights as a citizen; • Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by applicable laws concerning military service; • Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post • Produce the appropriate character references as to suitability for the performance of the duties • Languages: Have a thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of a second EU language to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties; • Qualifications: Completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma