Job description Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Wealth and Personal Banking (WPB) is our new global business combining Retail Banking and Wealth Management; and Global Private Banking, to become one of the world’s largest global wealth managers with USD1.4 trillion in assets. Across Asia, where wealth pools are growing faster than in any other region, HSBC’s wealth revenues grew 12% in 2019 (year-on-year) to USD5.7 billion. Our dedicated colleagues serve millions of customers worldwide across the entire spectrum of private wealth, ranging from personal banking individuals and families, through to business owners, investors and ultra-high-net-worth individuals. We provide products and services such as bank accounts, credit cards, personal loans and mortgages, as well as asset management, insurance, wealth management and private banking, that best suit our customers’ needs.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Head of Data Science Solutions. Role Purpose
The incumbent must come with strong financial industry and technical background, comfortable working with big data and building prototypes and MVPS across multiple levels of organization. Experience with retail and wealth banking, machine learning and NLP technical skills will be critical. Expected to keep apprised of latest developments and industry practices around emerging methodologies, techniques etc. and bring those in-house by applying them for better outcomes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Build minimal viable products utilizing data science techniques directly for our customers
- Converse both in technical and business language across the stakeholder matrix
- Lead the decision sciences practice with high quality analytical solutions for the business stakeholders across one of more value streams/ product domains/ customer segments
- Design, architect and manage advanced analytics applications and infrastructure and define initiatives with senior management
- Supports innovative analytical thinking & solutions that results into improved business performance
- Create compelling proposals with technologists and business to drive innovation from conception to production with appropriate success metrics
- Lead and inspire an extremely talented team of data scientists and sr. data scientists while actively contributing to projects and management the allocation of capacity effectively
- Lead all projects from a data science perspective, removing obstacles and taking ownership to find creative solutions with commercial management of budget
- Manage senior level stakeholder engagements internally and externally to discover problems and use cases as well as to translate business impact of on-going and completed projects.
- Network in the fintech, big tech and academic community through conferences, meetups and workshops – bringing leading edge techniques and technology into business strategy
- Lead the establishment of consistent, best-in-class Intelligent Data Services leveraging market leading AI and advanced data science solutions, also simultaneously joining up with the rest of the HSBC Group to scale solutions broadly
- Architect end-to-end Intelligent Data Services from collaborating with IT on proper data infrastructure, to assemble and perform data science techniques, to integrate such solution into the overall technology environment for production in a highly digital environment
- Manage a direct team of data scientists & developers, pioneer innovation by proactively linking new data & analytics trend to business need, and proactively drive in-house data science capability specifically in areas of sophisticated machine learning, deep learning and AI, provide thought leadership and delivery management on daily basis
- Enforce and monitor standards for the advanced analytical application and commercialization across the businesses
- Mature advanced analytics capabilities that drive the future of banking experiences through hyper-personalisation and tailored relevance of customer experiences, synergized across channel touch points.
- External data collaboration and commercialization
- Establish and maintain a global best practice sharing environment for all aspects of new advanced analytics capabilities, new data sources as well as relevant fintech capabilities
- The role holder shall also be expected to guide and lead team members from a functional perspective and help them build up a strong business understanding
Requirements Requirements Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Extensive years of experience working in a data science role
- Proven track record leading data science applications, managing objectives and expectations with clarity to align to business goals
- Experience delivering minimum viable products and results focused with ability to prioritize the most impactful deliverables
- Leading the implementation of big data components and services orchestration on a micro services design pattern
- Development of micro services and data APIs for the consumption of real time data
- Work alongside Data Scientists, Front-end engineers and others to bring Machine Learning models to scale
- Strong collaboration and stakeholders skills with an ability to drive commercial results
- High level of confidence in communicating with senior business and technical leaders internally and externally
- Experience on large banking datasets to build unsupervised, semi-supervised and supervised models and AI domains
- Ability to work in agile fashion with IT to infuse data science applications into innovative customer experiences, evaluate different algorithmic approaches, and analyze data to solve problems
Our ideal candidate will be a technically proficient, with a passion for testing out new technology, building products and the taste for creating something from scratch end to end. The main qualifications are:
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
- Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar degree
- Domain understanding big data principles: NoSQL, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka
- Experience building and deploying REST APIs, desired GraphQL experience
- Experience on Microservices, Docker, container and orchestration, Kubernetes
- Hacker experience on DevOps, continuous integration and deployment / Lambda function / Serverless architecture
- Some experience with front-end frameworks desired e.g. Angular, React or VUE
- Agile Methodologies - Scrum, Kanban, Pair Programming
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.