Technology Division, Data Center Assistant Operations Manager, Associate - Singapore
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 747 offices in 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Assistant Operations Manager will be responsible for all aspects of overseeing and managing the maintenance and operation of the engineering services installed at the Firm’s Singapore Data Centers on behalf of EDC (Enterprise Data Centre). The Data Centers are critical to the Firm’s business activities. It is, therefore, crucial that there is no unplanned loss of service from these facilities. To meet this objective the Assistant Operations Manager is expected to manage engineering building services maintenance and operations in a proactive and effective way utilizing the available resources in an efficient manner.
While the role is primarily focused on work within Singapore, input into a number of global and Regional initiatives, including updating, refining and creating processes and procedures for use within the wider teams, also fall within the remit of the position.
Principle responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assisting and reporting to the Singapore Operations Manager (VP) in daily activities in managing the data centers and maintaining 100% uptime as much as possible.
• Liaise with team leaders and operational staff at each Data Centre
• Prepare, implement, update and revise operational processes and procedures as required
• Manage the vendors generation of works method statements, risk assessments and permit to work systems
• Review Change Management documentation for all M & E tasks within the data centers
• Oversee maintenance activities and incidents within the data centers and ensure all risks are appropriately identified, mitigated and effectively communicated
• Liaise with third party service providers ensuring compliance with Health & Safety requirements and that the designated Key Performance Indicators and SLA’s are met or exceeded
• Review and report on the maintenance practices adopted to ensure that they reflect current industry best practice
• Escalate operational issues to Ops Manager in a timely manner
• Prepare and follow all incidents via the established procedures
• Monitor and report on Data Centre energy consumption and utilization
• Identify energy saving opportunities
• Advise and assist in preparation of Data Centre operational and maintenance budgets as required
• Assist in monitoring operational costs against agreed budgets
• Identify, evaluate and plan for external risks to the operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Data Centers
• Contribute to regional and global objectives in areas such as resiliency studies and design guidelines
• Support the local EDC team in the implementation of critical engineering system status monitoring as well as building emergency response and escalation procedures
• Liaise with other infrastructure silos on process improvement, operational issues, task scheduling, and project work
• Coordinate and liaise with Enterprise Asset Disposal team, supervise disposal vendor for equipment and hard disk disposal and destruction events Qualifications:
• 7+ Years of Experience in managing Data center Operations ; Relevant DC Certifications
eg CDCP / CDCS / CDFOM, preferred experience in Financial Sectors and Tech companies; qualification in engineering (ideally either Mechanical, Electrical or Building Services Engineering)
• Knowledge on different IT Infrastructure (Servers, Storage, Network etc), understanding of the different DC Capacity management tools
• Ability to work with Regional teams complying to the Standards which include stringent Firm Data Destruction requirements; also managing different vendors compliance
• A minimum of five years’ experience in Infrastructure services management, preferably within mission critical environments
• Ability to communicate fluently in English
• Knowledge of local standards and code of practice
• Understanding of IT systems, data center layouts, cabling systems, and IT device life-cycle
• A team player who can develop and maintain good relationships with colleagues, professionals and clients
• A sound technical base with the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with both technical and non-technical colleagues
• Intermediate to advanced use of MS Office package Skills Desired
• Data Center experience in the Financial Services Industry
• Data Center certifications – CDCP, CDCS, Uptime qualification