VP/AVP, Associate Economist, Economic & Treasury Research
Posting Date: 21-Nov-2022
Location: Raffles Place, Singapore, SG
Company: United Overseas Bank Limited About UOB
United Overseas Bank Limited (UOB) is a leading bank in Asia with a global network of more than 500 branches and offices in 19 countries and territories in Asia Pacific, Europe and North America. In Asia, we operate through our head office in Singapore and banking subsidiaries in China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, as well as branches and offices.
Our history spans more than 80 years. Over this time, we have been guided by our values - Honorable, Enterprising, United and Committed. This means we always strive to do what is right, build for the future, work as one team and pursue long-term success. It is how we work, consistently, be it towards the company, our colleagues or our customers. About the Department
The Finance and Corporate Services
function manages the financial and administrative needs of the Group to help achieve its business goals. Research
We support the Group and external clients in the areas of macroeconomic and financial markets research. We also assess their impact on economic policy measures, FX, interest rates and various assets markets. Job Responsibilities
An exciting opportunity exists for a team player and self-starter with analytical, problem solving ability, preferably with a financial/economics background, to join as Associate Economist, with a path leading to becoming an Economist.
The candidate is responsible for modelling, analyzing and advising clients on the macro-economic trends and developments in Singapore and other regional economies, by developing econometric models for forecasting, among other duties.
The role will require the person to clearly process and distill complex macro-economic data and events (such as the Government budget, central bank's monetary policy decisions) to non-technical stakeholders of varying seniority. As such the job requires excellent written and verbal communication ability and presentation/public speaking skills, and a positive disposition.
- Making use of historical survey/data or behavioral data to model, analyze and forecast macro-economic trends in Singapore and elsewhere.
- Advising both internal and external stakeholders on macro-economic developments and key events in Singapore and other regional countries.
- Responsible for the writing and publication of regular and ad hoc reports relating to monthly, quarterly and annual releases of key economic data as well as engaging with internal/external clients and stakeholders on the economic outlook and monetary policy.
- Developing, maintaining and enhancing statistical and econometric and SGD trade-weighted (SGD NEER) models, for economic forecasting.
- Contributing to the Research group's monthly and quarterly publications, as well as collaborative research projects within the team and with other units in the bank.
- To help develop/create presentation materials and to be able to present the Research outlook to both internal and external clients.
- Formulating scenarios and assumptions for various bank's and regulatory stress tests, including the forecasting of parameters and macroeconomic variables, and coordinating of the stress tests with other business units and other entities within the Group.
- Bachelor's degree, degree in economics will be advantageous but not necessary.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in an analytical role, ideally in a financial or academic institution.
- Quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning, with experience in programming languages such as macro/VBA, Phyton, R an advantage.
- Analytical mindset with attention to details; good problem-solving and organizational skills with exemplary work ethic.
- Familiarity with platforms such as Bloomberg, Reuters, CEIC, Wind, or Macrobond will be a plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication in English. Fluency in another language will be advantageous. Public speaking skill is also advantageous but not essential at this stage. Training on public speaking will be provided to the selected candidate in due course.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity and a team player.
Be a part of UOB Family
UOB is an equal opportunity employer. UOB does not discriminate on the basis of a candidate's age, race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or other non-merit factors. All employment decisions at UOB are based on business needs, job requirements and qualifications. If you require any assistance or accommodations to be made for the recruitment process, please inform us when you submit your online application.
Apply now and make a difference.