Climate and Energy Scenarios, Research Director
Climate and Energy Scenarios is an important subscription service within the fast-growing Climate and Sustainability group at IHS Markit. Other sectors within the larger group include renewables, clean energy technologies, hydrogen, power and natural gas. This service's list of clients include international and national oil and gas companies, chemical firms, ministries of energy, and service companies. The product combines a richness of data and analytics with expert insights that provide context and credibility to alternative outlooks. Clients use the service in order to understand changes in climate policy, emissions goals, country and company strategies that impact long term energy demand and supply as they test business strategies against a set of plausible future scenarios. Principal Accountabilities
Responsible for leading the climate expertise and analytics part of the Energy and Climate Scenarios team within the larger Climate and Sustainability group. The focus on growth in our climate and ESG practice will require an individual with strong management and collaboration abilities in addition to excellent presentation and analytical skills.
Scope and Skills
- Growth: Increase revenues from subscription product and support consulting, including sales enablement, financial/expense management, price increases and customer growth.
- Portfolio management and direction: Drive practice direction and thought leadership in the climate area, as well as develop new insights, analytics, and data products to create new revenue streams.
- Client and industry face: Represent the firm as a senior expert in climate policy and analytics at executive/board levels as well as participate in internal and external forums.
- New sales and client support: Drive new sales through engagement with qualified sales leads. Support key existing client renewals.
- Consulting: Help sell and deliver climate-related consulting as an individual and manage project teams of junior staff.
- Executive briefings/paid presentations: Can deliver compelling board/executive level presentations and can create insights to drive demand for these presentations.
- People management and development: Source and develop strong talent pool and effectively leads subordinates. Manage individual contributors as well as research and consulting teams.
- Collaboration: Work closely with other product managers within the larger team and across the firm to identify "white space" for revenue growth and new products. Maintain strong link with the larger ESG practice, as climate represents much of the "E".
The Director position will require someone with demonstrated ability to be both a leader and a manger in a competitive and complex area that requires unique insight and analytics in order to achieve a market edge.
- Advanced ability to manage multiple demands and priorities that balance ongoing subscription deliverables, presentations, client calls, and consulting. The main focus is on building the subscription business through unique and competitive insights and analytics.
- Extensive understanding of various client needs in the climate policy and analytics space, with the ability to learn from and extend the knowledge of the existing team.
- Highly articulate at a senior level, with the ability to converse and present the value proposition of the product/workflow solutions to clients and senior management.
- Demonstrated excellent written communications skills, including ability to independently write or edit customer-facing or external communications.
- Personality and confidence to build strong relationships at all levels internally and externally and to keep all stakeholders informed of plans and progress.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a number of complex projects and/or direct reports including those which cross group boundaries.
- Frequent interaction with senior management and peer groups within the Energy and Climate Scenarios team, the larger Climate and Sustainability group, and other divisions across the firm.
- Able to integrate information from professional and technical fields across diverse external and internal sources to develop critical business strategies and tactical plans to drive results.
- Proactive leadership experience to maximize organizational and colleague effectiveness through improving engagement and skill sets of team members.
- Effective and timely communication with both internal and external clients around business metrics, collaboration and information quality.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in energy industry or clean-energy related fields
- Graduate degree
- Strong writing and analytical skills demonstrated
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.